The primary function of the Assessing Department is to ensure that all property within the Town of Bedford is assessed fairly and in accordance with the New Hampshire laws governing taxation. Toward that end, the Department will be conducting various practices to ensure an equitable distribution of the tax burden. With an automated data base which allows for annual, incremental changes in property value when and where necessary, the Department will be able to keep pace with the ever changing real estate market. This stand alone method will indexes property values annually to reflect an assessment which correlates with assessing guidelines of between 90% and 110% of fair market value as of April 1st of each tax year.
- Town authority for all property assessment and related issues
- Maintain thorough knowledge of State of New Hampshire tax law
- Administer State statutes governing taxation. Perform statistical analysis to monitor market trends and ratio studies
- Annually review property tax assessments based upon market research and analysis, updating when and where necessary
- Conduct investigations to evaluate property changes. Involves conducting on-site inspections, meetings with property owners, and researching modifications made to properties.
- Responsible for administering the tax abatement process
- Processing of applications for tax exemption and/or credit programs
- Maintain property tax data files, property record cards, and various departmental databases
- Assist other departments and agencies on an as needed basis
- Provide assessment related data to various entities, taxpayers, and the general public
- Respond to taxpayer requests, and provide customer service in person, via email, or over the telephone